Join the CWA Team!
The marketing and communications manager will be responsible for the promotion and growth of the association through leadership of its marketing and communications efforts. The manager is responsible for understanding the recreational climbing wall marketplace, the association's role, its products, services and value proposition. The manager will be responsible for communicating the association’s activities on a regular basis through various media, communication channels, and developing partnerships with industry partners. Successful candidates will have significant prior professional experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing, sports marketing, public relations or sales promotion. A large part of this role will be focused on the Association’s membership and event program support.
The marketing and communications manager is responsible for researching the recreational climbing wall market, analyzing opportunities, prioritizing these opportunities, creating marketing and communication strategies, monetizing the strategies, executing the strategies, and measuring the success of marketing and communications efforts.
The marketing and communications manager will ensure consistent delivery of our messaging throughout the organization. The marketing and communications manager will support activities such as member acquisition and retention, member programs, conferences and events, sponsorship programs, and training programs. The manager must have excellent writing and editing skills and be comfortable interacting with the media.
The marketing and communications manager will experience every facet of the CWA’s business from marketing strategy and planning to implementation – all from our small office in beautiful Boulder, CO. The indoor climbing business is growing and the CWA is well positioned to grow and be a driving force in the industry!
Strategic Planning and Business Development – 15%
- Contribute to Association strategic and annual business planning processes.
Perform market and competitive research, analysis and planning to grow association membership, programs and events
- Develop and implement integrated marketing plan and achieve key milestones and revenue targets
- Develop in-depth knowledge of all competitive offerings and tailor strategy appropriately
- Implement cost effective and efficient management, monitoring and reporting systems
- Develop and manage marketing and communications budget
- Identify opportunities for and develop new membership related products, services, and programs that result in member growth leveraging CWA’s resources, relationships, and intellectual capital.
- Responsible for program of periodic benchmark studies describing the industry, industry size, industry participation, business practices, competitive landscape, facilities and demographics of patrons at climbing facilities.
Marketing and Communications – 35%
- Maintain corporate identity and brand standards to ensure high recognition and consistent communications presence across all channels.
- Execute focused marketing and sales communication plans with measurable results.
Create and/or edit the industry’s monthly email newsletter and other outbound communications.
- Manage CWA’s online presence including web site content and social media content.
Manage relationships with vendors such as designers, videographers, printers, mail services and others.
- Manage relationships with industry and mainstream media, ensuring proper representation of the organization and its members.
Membership Acquisition and Retention – 25%
- Create and execute proactive membership acquisition and retention strategies with Membership Manager to meet revenue targets.
- Maintain consistent and regular communication with members via mail, email, web site and social media.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with current members to achieve retention goals.
- Work cooperatively with Member Services Coordinator to execute acquisition/retention strategy and improve member experience.
- Promote membership through excellent customer service, including responding promptly to prospect and member questions.
Event Marketing– 25%
- Create and execute event promotion strategies with Events Manager to meet revenue targets.
- Promote annual CWA conference and other events to increase sponsorship sales and attendance.
- Support for sponsorship sales and servicing of sponsors and exhibitors.
- Production of conference materials and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in business administration, sports marketing, marketing, communications, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible work experience, including a minimum of 4 years of experience in marketing, marketing communications, or public relations.
- Ability to create and coordinate marketing campaigns and work effectively with vendors including technologists, designers, printers, mail houses, and subscription agencies.
- Prior association or non-profit work experience desired, but not necessary.
- Design experience, or good taste, a plus.
- Recreational climbing experience a plus.
- Sales experience a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent research, analytical and forecasting skills required.
- Excellent technical and computer skills required.
- Good Financial skills to develop and manage budgets – basic proficiency with accounting software.
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels.
- Familiarity with the latest trends, technologies and methodologies in graphic design, web design, social media, search, etc.
- Ability to work with creative professionals/vendors productively.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively – an entrepreneurial focus.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Strong initiative with the ability to work on a small team maintaining cooperative and productive working relationships with staff, volunteers, members, vendors and others.
- Excellent professional judgment and discretion based on experience.
- Effective interpersonal skills and a high level of integrity.
Additional Salary Information: DOE
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three non-related references in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no drop ins. Local applicants preferred, no relocation assistance.